How To Make Pulled Pork - You'Ll Never Go Back!
0 comment Thursday, April 3, 2014 |
There are numerous things in life that are cool, and above everything else... pulled pork is right up there with "Super"! And, here is about as simple recipe as I know of on how to make it come out right and make you look like the King or Queen of the BBQ World!
I have a Traeger Lil Tex Elite Barbecue (see below) but you can easily do this on just about any grill that you can bbq indirectly on. If you can't, well you might have to do it in an indoor oven, or a gas grill, but "Holy Jumpin'Up And Down Martha", I hope not (but you can).
Get yourself a good size pork shoulder roast, or pork butt. Bone-in, four pounds, or more will work. If nothing else ask your butcher to work one up for you, and tell them what you are going to do with it. However, they may turn around and tell you what you can do with it!
Pulled pork is all about taste, so there are some things you need to do. You are not going to whip out pulled pork in thirty minutes....don't even think about it. It's all about slow cookin' and smokin'.
Number one: You are going to put some Rub on it. Now, this is important, put the right kind of a Rub on it. There are all kinds of commercial-made Rubs, but I like to make my own. I have used the following recipe for over ten years�.more like since 1995. If you don't want to make your own Rub see Paul Prudhomme's below...it's excellent.
Cheryl Jamison has been so kind as to have given me permission to pass on one of the best all-around dry rubs out there. And, I highly recommend her book "Smoke & Spice". You are just going to love it.
Read it! You just might even learn something about barbecuing the right way. In fact, you'll probably learn more about Q'ing than ninety nine percent of all those folks that think they know it all...Smoke and Spice. (see below)
"Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub Recipe" Main all-purpose rub, good on pork & beef rib, brisket, chicken, and more ("And More" Meaning Pulled Pork, Steak, Hamburger).
� 3/4 cup paprika
� 1/4 cup ground black pepper
� 1/4 cup salt
� 1/4 cup sugar
� 2 tablespoons chili powder
� 2 tablespoons garlic powder
� 2 tablespoons onion powder
� 2 teaspoons cayenne
I double the recipe and put it in a big container that I can sprinkle the ingredients from. Why? Because, I barbecue a lot folks, and I don't want to be running out of this wonderful Rub in the middle of things. Use that beautiful mind of yours and make a bunch of it. Hey, make sure to buy all the ingredients in bulk and save money, too!
Once you are thinking about barbecuing the "pulled pork of you life", rinse it thoroughly with water and dry it off. Get yourself a nice deep Tupperware marinating container that has a cover (below), the type that you can turnover and is airtight.
Now that you have that pork shoulder in the Tupperware container, let's get on with the program.
Sprinkle the Rub on generously, I mean generously over the pork on all sides. Rub it in. If you are concerned about getting your hands dirty, wear latex gloves. Geez, use your hands and wash them afterwards. You will notice that the outside of the pork turns a deep crimson as you apply the Rub.
The next step, I put on the old yellow mustard. You say, "The man is sick, rub yellow mustard all over that poor little guy?" But, you can use a brush to do this. The mustard works like a miracle. It has many of the ingredients right in it to be a top marinade�.vinegar for one.
If the thought of mustard is appalling, use honey instead. But, take a look at the final thing on the barbie in the picture above. Do you see yellow mustard? There were two beautiful gals (Champion BBQ gals) that I saw on TV that used nothing but mustard and vinegar in their Q'ing, well some Dry Rub too. But, that was basically their secret recipe.
What to do next? Pour more of the Rub onto every inch of the pork. No need to rub it in this time. No pun intended here!
Put the Tupperware container, along with the pork shoulder, in the fridge, overnight. This allows everything to mingle.
Before you put the pork on the barbie you will want to let it sit out at room temperature...at least 45 minutes to an hour.
I let my Traeger get up to a least 325 degrees before I put on the pork. I have an industrial grade temperature gage. If you are serious about getting good results, you will need to get yourself a good gage too. On the Traeger: Start on Smoke, move up to high and then back to 325 or medium.
I do not put my pork directly on the grill. I use a 9 x 14 baking pan lined with aluminum foil. You say�. " Why in the hell don't we just marinate the pork in the same pan?" Raw marinades, and aluminum foil do not mix�..don't do it.
A Traeger uses special wood pellets designed specifically for barbecuing. For a pork I use either cherry or apple wood pellets. If you are using charcoal, think about putting a couple of chunks, or chips of cherry wood on top of your charcoal. Soak the wood for about 15 minutes to prevent them from burning right up, and for giving you lots of smoke that will add flavor.
Once the barbie is up to speed, place the pork on the grill for about two hours. I then open the barbie up and use a "mop" to add additional flavor and moisture to the meat. I use a spray bottle to mop. One like they use for ironing.
I use � cup of apple juice to a � cup of apple cider vinegar. Gently mist your pork after two hours of cooking, and then on the hour after that until done. When it's done (About 8 hours and an internal temperature of about 170 degrees) is when I start smoking it. I put it on a low temperature and smoke for about an hour, and sometimes longer. You won't believe the results.
If you don't have a barbecue, you can do this same in the oven, except it will be hard to smoke it. But, you will still have pulled pork. This is where a nice dipping sauce may come in and make up for the lost smoky taste.
Personally, I am not a big fan of sauces because I like that natural taste. In short, I don't put bbq sauce, or dipping sauce on anything, but you may prefer it and that's just fine. My survey sez : "That everybody has different tastes!".
After the pork comes off the grill, let it sit for about fifteen. Some folks wrap it completely in foil and place it on ice for awhile. Now, when you get ready to dive into that pork, and this is where the term "pulled pork" comes from, use a nice sturdy fork and twist it into the meat and pull. Some folks prefer to take the outside layer off first. I don't, I like the crusty stuff.
You can freeze pulled pork up real well in freeze pouches if you really want. My pulled pork never really gets to that point of having to be frozen! Guaranteed, yours won't either!

Labels: , , , , ,