Chickens On Wood Pellet Grills
0 comment Wednesday, May 7, 2014 |


The two chickens shown above are about to be cooked on a Traeger Grill. Wood pellet grills like the Traeger are one of the best ways to BBQ chicken or any other thing, period!
If you are like me you like to experiment with different Rubs and marinades. I make a lot of my own Rubs but I also like to use other folks' as well, and my favorites are almost any type of seasoning that comes from Chef Paul Prudhomme's kitchen.
Now, as far as I know he is not regarded as the King of BBQ, but if you familiar with him you might regard him as one of the Kings of Spice and Hot. And, of course any of the food he prepares is extremely colorful and good tastin'.
On my Traeger Grill when I do chicken I like to do two at a time. Just one chicken doesn't get it.
Rinse the entire chicken, inside and out with warm water and pat dry. Place in a marinating container like Tupperware or a plastic bag.
On one chicken, I used Prudhomme's "Little Italy Seasoning" as a Rub and Catalina Dressing as a marinade. On the other, I used Prudhomme's "Poultry Magic" as a Rub and Fischer and Wieser's Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce as a marinade. Naturally, you can do both chickens the same but that may be boring. See below on where to get all this stuff.
On both chickens, generously pour on the Rub and rub it in, dude, all over the chickens and into the cavities. Get those mitts messy!
Pour on the respective marinades and brush on thoroughly. Pour an extra amount into the cavity.
Pour on some more Rub, but don't rub it in this time. Cover and place in the fridge over night. Don't marinate anything in aluminum or metal containers for health reasons.
Next day, you are ready to cook! Get your wood pellet grill started, get it up to a high temperature and then bring it back down to a medium temperature of 325-350 degrees. Make sure the chicks sit out on the counter for at least 15 to 30 minutes before they go on the grill.
Cooking time will very from an hour and a half to two hours, but whatever you do make sure you use a meat thermometer to see that they are done. Place the thermometer under one of the wings and make sure it reads 190 degrees. If not, shut the hood and cook em' some more.
I use a shallow pan, lined with foil when I do chickens. With all that marinade I don't want it all over the grill. Also, just a theory, keeping the juices in a pan while cooking adds more moisture to the meat.
When the chickens are done, bring up the foil so that it completely covers the chicken and let it sit out for fifteen minutes before serving.

Labels: , , , , ,